An invitation to an historic moment in the life of our parish
The Blessing of a Bell and the liturgical farewell to the Rt. Rev. Michael Oultan, Bishop of Ontario
On June 11, 2023 at 10:00 a.m., Bishop Michael Oulton will attend to name and bless our bell. We welcome you to join us in celebration.
In 1863, the Reverend Septimus Jones, then curate of St. Thomas’s, led a group of parishioners across the Moira River to organize a church they believed would be more democratic and more open to the direction of all its people. The new church, built at 30 West Moira Street in 1865, was the only Belleville church not to rent pews but instead maintained free sittings. Tragedy struck in 1881 when fire burned the original church to the ground.
On August 5, 1881, the cornerstone of the present church was laid under the auspices of the Masonic Lodge of Canada in Ontario. On Easter Sunday, April 9, 1882 the new building was formally dedicated to the worship of God.
The church was constructed with an 80 foot bell tower, however, it was never home to a bell and its traditional call to service. Concern for the condition and deterioration of the stone masonry lead to the tower deconstruction in 2006.
In 2022, our current priest Fr. Jeff O’Hare, seized the moment to lay claim to a bell, located at Christ Church Cataraquai Kingston. As is the tradition of goodwill and devotion, parishioners and friends to the church supported the venture. We are blessed to finally have our own Christ Church bell, which will ring out to the larger community each Sunday, that Christ Church remains significant and relevant in these and future times. A symbol of faith to those who have sustained her over the years.
We gratefully acknowledge Mr. Brian Kidmond, President Trentfab Inc. for his generous gift to the parish, along with other donors, making the installation of the bell cost neutral to the parish.
On June 11, 2023 at 10:00 a.m., Bishop Michael Oulton will attend to name and bless our bell. We welcome you to join us in celebration. Blessings.